Mons unfolds around a nice and wide square, dominated by City Hall, but very harmonious and with interesting buildings around.
ome restaurants and esplanades give life to the place even in the cold days that we had (cold but sunny, what, in this latitude, is a blessing this time of the year).
We were using a car, and the gentle restrictions to pedestrians became a nightmare for us, enhanced by road works in the few that (it seems) we could use.
St Elizabeth church
It is not a must see in Mons, but for us it was a must live.
This large (and ugly) pavilion was the location of the world championship we attended, as it must be of must cultural and economic events in Mons.
The competition only used one third of the space, with another one used as dressing room.
Though its cold and poor look, the conditions inside were warm and acceptable.
Town Hall, located in Grand Place, started to be was constructed in 1458.
t shows a Gothic style, similar to the Collegiate Church of Saint Waudru.
There are very interesting details inside, but the visit are only for groups and by previous request. This must be done writing to the Tourist Office (Grand-Place 22 - 7000 Mons or email@example.com); in July and August visits are organized daily at 2.30 p.m.
Address: Grand Place
This house, built according to Spanish architecture, in the 16th century, and with Gothic details, uses mainly brick.
t was used after a fire, in 1548, that forced construction with cheap material, resistant to fire.
It was restored in 1919-1920, and nowadays it houses "Maison de Presse" another designation commonly used.
St Waltrude Collegiate Church
Located in the heart of the old County of Hainaut, Saint Waltrude's Collegiate Church is one of the most characteristic churches Brabantine Gothic architecture.
It was built in the fifteenth century on the orders of canons and took 250 years to be concluded, containing many works of Jacques Du Brœucq.
Made with local materials, it is designed in the classic form of a Latin cross sign. It measures 115 meters long, 32 meters wide and rises to 24.5 meters at the keystone. The chancel is surrounded by an ambulatory and 15 chapels.